Software testing as a continuous process requires from a tester to possess a special level of written skills. What does it mean? This means that any QA specialist should be able to adequately interact and keep in contact with other employees of software testing company.
This interaction is usually maintained via two forms: formal and informal. Written or business communication implicates the usage of written symbols during the information sharing inside the team.
Informal business communication continuously takes place during mobile application testing, documentation testing, user interface testing, and other test types via Skype or any other kind of immediate messengers.
Formal written communication presupposes the applying of the professional written records and forms. It may be carried out with the help of emails, sent to the product owner or when writing the standard test documentation, such as test plan or test summary report. These examples, mainly, explain that communication may be of two types: external and internal.
Why Is It Important to Enhance Written Skills?
- There are different QA members, involved in the test process; hence, it is important to permanently improve relationships.
- Ability to write clear and understandable test documentation – the best way to confirm one’s professionalism.
- The presence of the good communication skills often raises one’s credibility within the team.
- The competent resume – a key to gain the callback from the potential workplace.
Thereafter, the possession of a certain level of business communication opens wider opportunities for the tester as a QA professional and may significantly assist in the career growth.
9 Tips to Improve Writing Skills
- Permanently keep a hand in writing, it is a good practice to reread the typed sentences, in order to check mistakes or improve the formulation.
- Always review the document before sending it to the client or any other person in a team.
- Enhance basic language grammar and punctuation, look after the structure of the text, avoid slang vocabulary, watch the lamprophony in order to be sure in the correctness of the work.
- Learn the cases where active and passive voice is applicable, sometimes it is much easier to perceive exactly active style of writing.
- Try to write in a simple and understandable manner, use short and logic phrases, learn to sum up and apply lay terms.
- Confine the standard forms of formatting (fonts, headings, line intervals).
- It is of great use to read the ready templates of the similar documentation.
- The targeted audience plays a very important role during the preparatory stage of the writing.
- Set the goal of the project and keep it in mind during the whole creation procedure.
Thus, if the aforesaid tips are followed, the tester may significantly simplify requirement testing, functional checking, accessibility testing, designing of the test documentation, and any other type of testing activity.